Thursday, November 14, 2019

Salary Calculator and Negotiating

If you're like me, you often get frustrated and/or confused about how much you should be getting paid as a technical writer. The Salary Calculator by Robert Half is a great tool that takes a lot of the guess work out of salary requirements. For example, I plugged in the following:

  1. Area of Specialization: "Technology & IT"
  2. Job Category: "Software & Application Development"
  3. Job Title: "Technical Writer"
  4. State: "Oregon" (as I happen to live here currently)
  5. City: "Portland"
At the writing of this article, the current salary range was $63.5k - $107.7k with the median being $76k. There should be a few things to keep in mind here with this salary range:
  • Bonuses and benefits are not included
  • You should add another 5-10% to your salary if you possess certain skills and/or certifications
Now that I know how much I'm worth and the fact that I feel very confident with my skills and work experience, I can confidently ask for the aforementioned salary range when applying for a new job.


If you are already employed, I found the article by Robert Half called How to Negotiate Salary After You Get a Job Offer rather useful for giving tips and advice on how to ask for more pay on the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment